BGCD held its first Community Conversation last week, in partnership with Okay to Say, to help families start a discussion about mental health while living through the COVID-19 pandemic. A recording of the webinar is available on our YouTube channel for those who weren’t able to attend the virtual event. As mentioned in the webinar, we can begin to care for our mental health by making small, gradual changes. Below are several takeaways we found to be very helpful.
- Take a brain break.
- Separate time from learning to leisure.
- Have fun as a family.
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep.
- Practice mindfulness, start writing in a journal, and/or meditate.
- Keep a routine for your kids.
- As parents, take care of your mental health. Your children model after you.
- Be okay, and teach your children to be okay, with the unknown.
- Look for signs of distress in your children: irritability, clinginess, inattentiveness.
- Stay hydrated and eat healthy. Eliminate unhealthy foods from the household.
We would like to thank all of our amazing speakers, attendees, and Okay to Say for making our first Community Conversation a success! We hope this conversation with mental health experts offered helpful tips for you and your loved ones.